Thursday, March 24, 2011

SICK of being Sick

Ever since the beginning of February, our family has been in an ongoing cycle of sickness. It's been a rough couple of weeks to say the least. One cold let to another, and another, and another, from Me, to Matt, and finally to Parker.  Parker got it the worst though. He ended up with RSV. Poor little guy. He caught my cold, and had it from the beginning of February, and it continued... and continued. It really seemed like it was never going to end. He developed a pretty nasty cough, and I kept taking him into the doctor's office to be checked. They would always simply tell me he has a cold, and it will go away soon. Soon? Are you kidding me?! My child has been sick for 3 WEEKS now! When will said "soon" come!? I was frustrated to say the least. I always left the doctors office a little unsettled. I felt that there was something more wrong. What baby with a cold is coughing up a lung? Parker was coughing SO bad, that his whole face would go bright red, his eyes would water, he was struggling to breathe, and you could just see the pressure building up behind his sweet eyes. I then decided to go the the doctors for a 3rd time. This time, I requested an RSV test. Sure enough, it came back positive. Parker was wheezing pretty bad, so they did a breathing treatment on him at the office that day. It didn't work. So they sent us up to Primary Children's at U for further treatments where they stuck an awful tube in his nose, and down his throat to suck out all of the mucus in his lungs. Parker didn't like it one bit. It was hard for me too. It is so miserable to watch your baby hurt. All you mothers out there understand. You never want to see your child in pain, and you wish you could take that pain away for them. It hurt my heart every time we walked into that hospital, knowing that my innocent little man was going to be uncomfortable again. The nasal suctioning, as the doctor's called it, worked wonders on Parker despite the horrible experience it came with. (Sidenote: I understand completely that there are SO MANY much worse things that could have/ and can still happen to Parker, but this is by far the worst so far, and so it has been hard on us. I don't discredit what several mom's and children go through every day to stay healthy) Parker started doing better and better every day, and is now RSV FREE!!!! Matt took him to the doctor's this morning for a checkup and got the great news! Thank you to all those who have kept Parker in your prayers, and for all of your love, support and encouraging words. We are so grateful to have such wonderful friends and family!

3 comments:

Mandy said...

I'm so glad that he's doing better!

Julie said...

I'm happy to know he is over all that. Poor little guy. He is such a cutie.

kelli said...

Man, being sick is miserable! I'm so glad he's doing better, and hopefully you guys are too!