Thursday, November 19, 2009

Painful Generals

As I am typing this I am listening to a lecture about some ancient civilization and how they used horses, farmed, etc. My point in this post is to ask why? Why are we forced to take such painful general education classes? I really couldn't care less if Plato felt like he knew how to have a better form of government. I don't really care if poetry communicates things before they are understood. I don't care if Harappa was the first civilization on the Indus River.

I am currently working my way through the painful generals so that I can have them all out of the way for when I enter the school of accountancy (hopefully). Perhaps some of you out there can explain to me why these terrible classes are forced on me, to the point that they won't let me graduate from college unless I take them. Overall it is costing me over five thousand dollars, probably more, to pay for these classes that I have no desire to take. The biggest thing I have gained from all of these classes? I have gained more time to spend talking trash on the KSL boards about BYU and Utah sports. Not bad for a $2500 semester, huh?

3 comments:

Julie said...

Makes us "well-rounded" or so they say. Those of us who've gone to college or gotten our degrees had to take those classes too. Just par for the course. :) Enduring it well makes us a better person, right? :)

Nancy and Spencer said...

I got through those classes with my "A" and didn't learn anything. I'm not a better person for it. Worse maybe, but not better.
I bet there is an online degree somewhere that doesn't require generals. You might be able to get a Ph.D. in a few weeks even.

Bradwich said...

I've tried to be careful about which generals I take--for most of them you can choose a particular class from a list of 10 or more. Because I was interested in philosophy, I took the History of Philosophy courses rather than just a History of Civ or whatever. Take a look at your options for next semester and see if anything looks even remotely more interesting than the other classes. It's a good chance to learn some things you won't be able to later. *shrug*